Monday 5 March 2012

Walking in this World—Week 2, Day 1

Week 2 opens with this paragraph:
All of us are creative. Some of us get mirroring to know we are creative, but few of us get the mirroring to know how creative. What most of us get is the worried advice that if we are thinking about a life in the arts, we'd better plan to have 'something to fall back on.' Would they tell us that if we expressed an interesting in banking?
Talk about summarising 13 years of your life in 68 words?!

I believe it's no coincidence that I find myself addressing my work/life/art balance again right now. I have been going through a period of change for some time now, and this week in particular am addressing my plans for the coming year. I have an opportunity to study, to devote myself entirely to playwriting and theatre, and I also have new projects on the horizon. It is synchronicity, and I expect I'll get a lot of benefit out of this week's tasks.

At lunchtime I headed off on one of my daily rambles. The sun decided to visit Glasgow today; it was still chilly, but the air was crisp and the walk refreshing. I did my favourite afternoon circuit around Kelvingrove Park, pausing for 15 minutes to sit on a bench and look out over the pond with the museum and art gallery in the distance. It was quite picturesque, relaxing.

This evening I spent a couple of hours at the Playwrights' Studio editing my manuscript. I think, at long last, I've finished the first draft of a new play. Yes, it has flaws, and yes, it needs work, but it feels like an achievement to finish it all when just 8 weeks ago I wanted to scratch it and move on. It's very different to anything I've written before. Now that I have an outline I'm glad I persevered and experimented with style. I've sent it off to Isabel, my mentor, who will no doubt cast a critical and caring eye over it and give me feedback later this week.

Will it ever see the stage?

Who knows. What's more important is the fact it finally saw the page.

K


No comments:

Post a Comment